Ballots for 25 stylish apartments in Onehunga will open next week in the first KiwiBuild development under the Buying off the Plans initiative, Housing and Urban Development Minister Phil Twyford announced today.
The @340 Onehunga properties available to eligible KiwiBuild buyers are six studio apartments priced from $380,000, 12 one-bedroom apartments priced from $490,000, and seven two-bedroom apartments priced at $600,000.
Construction on these homes starts today. They are due for completion by August 2019.
Phil Twyford said the architecturally-designed apartments will be built to high specifications to minimise ongoing maintenance costs and maximise living space.
“They will also have high-quality fittings included in the price such as blinds, washer/dryers and dishwashers, which are often hidden costs for first home buyers.”
The apartments are in a highly desirable central location which is well-serviced by public transport, he said.
“The @340 Onehunga development is a six-minute walk from Onehunga train station and on a main bus route with connections to the CBD and Auckland Airport. It will also have light rail. There is a range of amenities nearby, including Cornwall Park and the proposed new foreshore at Onehunga Bay. Onehunga is also one of 10 suburbs across the city identified as a priority for Auckland Council investment in streetscapes, landscapes and cycleways.
“This is a unique opportunity for those who have been locked out of the property market to buy a modern, new home in an increasingly popular area that might otherwise have been out of reach for first home buyers,” Phil Twyford said.
• Only eligible, pre-qualified buyers can enter the ballots for these apartments, so anyone interested should visit the KiwiBuild website and begin the pre-qualification process.
• If successful in the ballot, buyers will be required to pay a deposit of 10 per cent of the purchase price, with the balance to be paid once the apartments are completed.
• Open days will be held at 340 Onehunga Mall this Saturday & Sunday (15-16 September), and agents will be available seven days a week from 11am to 2pm until the ballot closes on 15 October.
• KiwiBuild incentivises property developers to build more quality, affordable homes faster, by reducing their risk in a number of ways, including underwriting homes in new developments.
• KiwiBuild is on track to deliver 1000 KiwiBuild homes by mid-2019, then a further 5000 homes by June 2020 and another 10,000 homes by June 2021.
For more information please go to www.kiwibuild.govt.nz
Read the story on Scoop here.