This year’s Budget documents show that the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) expects to contract for only 175 new homes from community providers in the financial year that started on July 1.
Community Housing Aotearoa director Scott Figenshow said the shortfall showed that the Government would have to increase capital funding if it genuinely wanted to house families now living in cars and garages. “We are in a housing crisis, we need to get houses built and delivered for families in need. Anything that puts constraints around that is a barrier,” he said.
“Why [reject] perfectly legitimate offers simply because the cost could be very slightly over their parameters?”
The Request for Proposals, published on November 25 last year and open until November 25 this year, seeks 1000 additional social housing units in Auckland by June 2018.