When the Sisters of Compassion bought the Upper Hutt City Council’s pensioner units in 2000, it gave us an excellent opportunity to provide more community outreach services to existing tenants, while also working constructively to keep people in the community. As a charitable organisation of the Sisters of Compassion, Compassion Housing is dedicated to respecting the dignity of older people by:
- offering quality housing that’s comfortable and affordable
- respecting their right to independence
- offering friendship, encouragement and helping them live active lives
- offering advocacy for access to healthcare, social and government assistance
- encouraging those with ill health to seek and obtain appropriate care.