The KiwiBuild Unit will be responsible for:
· Building KiwiBuild homes as part of redevelopment of state housing land, alongside new state and open market homes.
· Scaling up the building of KiwiBuild homes on underutilised Crown-owned land.
· Purchasing (or underwriting) new homes off the plans in private developments.
· Investigating major greenfield and urban regeneration projects, so that they can be progressed swiftly by the Housing Commission once established.
· Working with councils, iwi and private developers.
· Exploring innovative ways to address current constraints including alternative financing options and construction practices.
“Once established, the Housing Commission will take over as the driver of the KiwiBuild programme.