The Council is considering options that would allow it greater flexibility in the future ownership, management and development of its social housing portfolio.
Key components of the Council’s proposals:
• Establish as a limited liability company an entity, in which the Council will have and interest of up to 49 per cent, that will be eligible for registration as a community housing provider under the provisions of the Housing Restructuring and Tenancy Matters (Community Housing Provider) Regulations 2014
• Initially subscribe for all the shares in the new company and appoint the first board of directors
• Lease to the entity an appropriate mix of social housing assets
• Gift or sell to the entity certain assets form the Council’s social housing portfolio
• Transfer the ownership or control of some of the Council’s social housing portfolio to either an entity in which the Council has an interest of up to 49 per cent, or to a third party
• Enter into arrangements with the Council’s City Housing partners and others for the redevelopment of some of the land currently used for social housing.
The council will be undertaking Public Consultation as part of the process of, “Ensuring that our most vulnerable community members continue to have access to good-quality, affordable social housing is one of the Council’s top priorities” says Deputy Mayor Vicki Buck.
Public consultation on the Council’s proposals opens on 21 May, 2014, and will close at 5pm on 26 June, 2014.
Submissions can be made through the Council’s website ww.ccc.govt.nz/HaveYourSay or in writing to the Council, after the consultation opening date.
Read the article here: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/AK1405/S00220/social-housing-proposals-adopted-for-consultation.htm